Third Party Reproduction
If you are planning to build your family using donor egg, donor embryo, or donor sperm, you likely have already traveled a long, emotional road. Most fertility clinics and reproductive endocrinologists require that you attend a psychoeducational consultation session prior to proceeding with donor conception. The purpose of the donor recipient consultation is to provide you with a place where you can share your concerns, thoughts, and plans connected to using donor gametes, and to receive information about donor conception and donor conceived children. I offer this consultation session in my Staten Island office and provide the summary letter required by your doctor. By providing the session on Staten Island, the need to travel off the island for this consultation is eliminated.
The purpose of the session is not to determine your parental suitability; the consultation is interactive and informational, offering insight into some of the questions you already have, and some of the issues you may not have yet considered. We’ll discuss the mixed emotions and expectations you may be experiencing as you prepare to build your family through third party reproduction. You’re encouraged to ask questions during our time together.
Some of what we’ll discuss includes:
- choosing a donor (sperm, egg, or embryo)
- closed vs open identity donors
- making the decision about whether or not to disclose your child’s genetic origins
- how and when to start telling your child his/her story (if you plan to do so)
- thinking about with whom to share your plan to use a donor
- decisions about remaining embryos
- identifying your support network and creating a support system
- bonding and the loss of genetics
- donor siblings
You’ll be provided with a donor recipient packet to take home. The packet includes lists of books, websites, and other resources which you may find useful to have on-hand for reference during the family building journey.
Staten Island Therapist
Relationships & dating
Staten Island, New York